Monday, August 25, 2008

First Day Blip Free

Today is the day. This is my first day of no longer being a Blip Printers employee, and my first day of being at stay at hoe mom and for-my-self graphic designer. Decided Saturday, it's also my first day of watching my cousin's 2 kids while she goes to school. Deep breath. I intended to transition into stay at home life slowly...but it's not turning out that way.

None the less, I am still excited. It's 8:45 and all but my still sleeping daughter are dressed and fed. I even have my hair done and makeup on. That's something I always just naturally did since I was working (well most of the time) and i really want to make sure i don't somehow slip into jammy all day girl. However I think a few of those days are more then allowed.

Well, now I come to the initial reason for my post this morning.
I've been working either full time or part-time away from home (@ Blip) for the past 4 1/2 years. I'm not naturally the most organized person. I'm not sure how to organize me entire day so that everything and everyone gets the attention deserved. If there are any timely structured women out there who've come up with a great schedule for the family and would love to share..please do! I could really use some insight. Before my time was so squished together that there was no way everything was going to get done so I would just squeeze things into the schedule and they came up and my house would get cleaned in the middle of the night or frantically right before I knew someone was coming over. :) We really want to be organized, visually and activity wise. I want to find a way for myself (exercise & spiritual , cleaning, paper work, individual kid time, group family time, couple time and leave some open space for anything important that comes our way. Is that even do-able?

Suggestions please!

4 comments:

Dena said...

Lacy! I can't believe you are no longer a Blip employee! Way to go! It has been quite a while since I was one, but I don't have any organizational suggestions for you. I just take it one day at a time.

Rachel Holloway said...

HOORAY! And a big congrats! I wish I had a great suggestion for your request...I still struggle with that~!

Kimberlee said...

Congrats on being Blip Free. That's exciting. But, I think you will find that you are taking on another full-time job and that just like before everything will be so "squished together" that there's no way to get everything done. It's crazy how fast your time gets filled up. Love ya!

Cassie and Mark said...

It is a huge adjustment going from working to being home full-time. I love my children but it took a while to figure things out and I am still working on it! I am by no means an expert, but I'll give you suggestions that have worked for me and my little ones. 1) Plan something to do out of the house often. I like to get out at least once per day. I find having somewhere to go encourages me to get ready and is often refreshing. 2)Assign certain activities to specific days. For example, Monday-park day, Tuesday-play date, Wednesday- storytime, etc. 3) Make time for yourself. My kids are in bed at 8:00 every night, because evenings are mine. I try to exercise, read, or spend time with Mark. I have also joined a book club and a group that performs plays at the library. Mark and I coordinate our schedules so I can have this time to myself. You might consider a community choir or another interest. 4) Read to your children at least 20 mintues per day. 5) Find a support group. You might already know a lot of stay at home moms, or it might take a little while, but as you attend more daytime activities your network will expand. It is so helpful to become friends with other full-time moms so you can swap kids and do things together. You can also build a long distance support group and call! 5) For cleaning, I have tried a few things and I'm still behind. You could clean 1 room per day, but if you're like me there are some tasks that need to be done daily. I have started assigning tasks to days. M-laundry and floors T-bathroom and wash sheets W- Vacuum and dust Th- bathroom, and the other days I catch up. Of course, cleaning is not always this organized and scheduled. Everday Gavin is responsible for cleaning his room and when needed he empties the clean silverware from the dishwasher. 6) Plan special family outings or vacations. This will give you something to look forward to. Whew! Sorry about the novel! As you get more experience you will find things that work best for you and I would love to hear your suggestions as you discover them. Good luck and congratulations!