Sunday, April 29, 2012

Conquering the Sugar Cookie

I made sugar cookie dough last night. I don't do that very often. I've always had in my head that my dad does pies and my mom does sugar cookies. After my pie failures experiences at Thanksgiving it would be easy to continue thinking that way. I'm not one to always do it the easy way though. Plus, I like to stare my challenges in the face and if I do it right, make them run away in fear.

The last time we tried to make sugar cookies they were ... edible, which was a step up from the pumpkin pie. The time before that they were definitely inedible, but only because my sister shattered glass all over them and we never actually got to try them.

Today my kids, and Haleys kids, rolled out the cookie dough and turned it into a wonderful array of spring creations: santa clauses, wreathes, bats, stegasauruses, ginger bread men, and circles. During the rolling my son relented that his rolling pin just wasn't working very well. His 13 yr old cousin moved the rolling pin and started to use his hands. Jordan explained "yeah, steven, smash it with your big hand." He did it with such excitement and vigor that it still has me chuckling.

We haven't yet frosted our cookies. I do however think they were successful this time. They are thick and soft. A few of them were quite unattractive and volunteered to be the taste test cookies. I was the taste tester ... they passed. Maybe I'll try a pumpkin pie again. However I am in no hurry, next Thanksgiving seems like a fine enough time.

1 comment:

Kimberlee said...

AN UPDATE and a comment! Best birthday present ever! :)