Sunday, November 23, 2008

Beauty Pagents and Alcoholics

I have been blog absent for quite some time now and alot of things have transpired during that time. Today I will only write about 2 of them.
A couple of weeks ago we decided to enter Jadelyn into a beauty pagent at the mall . . . very last minute. She loves being on stage whether it's dancing or talking in church so she was very excited. She wore her black and white church dress with tiny little yellow flowers and right before it started I bought her little black bows to put over her doggie ears. We are not bow equipped like many of my blogging buddies are. There were quite a few little girls there and most of them were FAN-CY. I'm talking wedding dress fancy. This one sweet little 3 yr old couldn't even walk because her dress was so huge. She had a floor length hoop skirt that was about 4 ft in diameter, I'm totally serious. I was starting to feel like Jadelyn was a little under dressed, however I was glad that she still looked like a sweet little 5 yr old and not 5 going on 20. We had fun watching, well everyone except Jordan enjoyed watching. He much preferred flirting with the girls by him than watching the ones on the stage. He also loved crawling over to the jewlery stores.
Most of the contestants ended up being in younger age divisions so it was just Jadelyn and 2 other girls. They were very cute and I was worried. I didn't care if she won and neither did she, but she REALLY wanted a trophy :) She and I had practiced all sorts of cute little things she could do. They told her they wanted her to act sassy and shes a natural at that so I thought, hey no problem. As soon as she got on stage she clammed up. She did a really weird walk to the mark on the stage and just stood there holding the microphone with an embarrassed smile on her face. She still looked adorable but was REALLY awkward :) When they asked her the questions she talked SO loud, SO fast, and smiled SO big. "What is your middle name?" "Jadelyn Serenity Dean" She had to repeat it twice for them. "What do you like to do?" "I like to play with my Grandma" "Is your Grandma here" "No" "Oh, Well, how sweet of you to say that. What is your favorite thing about school?" "Playing with my friend Treyton" She had to repeat his name a few times too "Will you turn around so we can see your pretty dress?" Instead of turning in a circle, She did this cute model like walk in a circle and ended back at her place. Then when all 3 of them were called back on the stage she was a little more comfortable and blew them a kiss.
When they were announcing the winners and got to her age group they called the other 2 girls on the stage as runners up. She doesn't know what runner up means but she new they were getting torphies and she wasn't. She put her head into her daddy's chest and said in a sad voice, I guess I don't get a trophy. Then They said "and our 4-6 queen is Miss Jadelyn Dean" She was so surprised and grinning er to ear and she went up to get her crown, charm bracelt, sash and trophy. She mad friends iwht one of the other girls and had a lot of fun. She still didn't know that it meant she won, she was just glad she got something. She qualified to go to all Northwest in May. We're considering doing it but I just have mixed emotions about the whole pageant thing. I want to make sure she knows that all of God's children have worth and it's their inside that makes them beautiful. I don't know if participating in a pagenat would help or hinder that message. What are your thoughts on pageants?
Last week I attended my first AA meeting. My name is Lacy and I'm NOT an alcoholic. Don't worry, it's not my husband either. I was supporting a loved one. I've been learning alot this year about choices, consequences, and Satan's snares. The meeting was another big eye opener for me. I was a little uncomfortable at first because I felt like and outsider, but everyone was very friendly and I really enjoyed going. It helped me understand my loved one better. I also went with them to meet with the Probation Officer. The officer said, so are you familiar with alcoholics? No, but I'm learning.
So that's alittle update about our adventure with Pageants and Alcohol.

5 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

WOW! Those are some serious ADVENTURES!!

Congrats on the awesome pageant experience!! I have mixed feelings on it. I think some moms obviously go too far. But I think it can be a fun thing too. I can't wait to hear what you decide.

Janelle said...

Way to go, Jade! I wasn't surprised at all by the judges' decision! :)
And that's so neat that you can be there for that person in your life who needs you right now. They are so lucky to have such a special woman to lean on. ;)

Jessica said...

Thanks Lacy. I would love to get a copy of the Christmas stories. I would send you some money if you would send them to me. Email me at jessicawahlen@yahoo.com and I will send you my address.

Cassie and Mark said...

Thanks for the update. I'm so happy Jadelyn won! I would love to see pictures! The pageant dilemna is a tricky one. When she get's much older (high school/college age) it can offer good scholarships, and many opportunities to meet new people and be involved. When she's young she's being introduced to a lot of competition and other issues at a young age. Good luck and please let me know what you decide.
My heart and prayers goes out to you and the loved one you are supporting. You truly are wonderful and have such a sweet and positive attitude.

Kimberlee said...

Congrats to Jadelyn and way to go you in supporting your friend.

Here's what I think about the beauty pageant thing. I think at an older age it is a great opportunity to build confidence and talents. It offers a lot of opportunity for personal growth. I think ANY extracurricular activity at an older age should be encouraged and praised be it sports, academic achievements, beauty pageants or what have you. I also think at a young age it can be a great thing too, as long as it is done with the right attitude. I think the emphasis needs to be put on fun and not so much on winning and defeating. I think dance class, piano lessons, baseball (or whatever) at a young age offer great opportunity to children. But, I also feel that the child should be able to choose what things they are involved in. If a little girl throws a fit for two hours before dance class because she doesn’t want to go…she should NOT be forced to go. No matter how bad mom wants her little girl to be a pro dancer and how cute mom thinks she looks in her little dance outfit. And that is how I feel about beauty pageants as well. If the child enjoys the opportunity (like it sounds like Jadelyn did) and wants to be involved in it, then why not; but if it becomes more of a thing that mom and dad want and the kid no longer likes doing it then it shouldn’t be forced. I think that the crazed beauty pageant moms (which I KNOW you would never be) give a bad rap for children beauty pageants. But as long as it is done in moderation (and not forced), it can be a fun things for kids!

Um, Sorry, so long. But you asked! :)