Wednesday, October 27, 2010

October Story Times

I started helping with preschool story time at the library again. I led to story times this month. the first one was Trains. We read some really fun train books, one of which was Jordan's favorite book for the month of september.
1, 2, 3 TO THE ZOO

Then we made shape trains. I cut out different shapes using many colors of construction paper. then we glued them on a piece of paper to make trains. They could either follow my example or make their own. They were great!

My cousin had a train party for her son this summer and gave the conductor hats, hankerchiefs and train whistles for party favors. We were able to use these things in our story time. I taught the kids what the different whistles mean and we practiced them as we made a train around teh library to the craft table. We also did a little chant about a train.

The second time I led wasn't so great. I forgot I was in charge. hahaha-oops Thankfully I was inspired to invite my friend and pick her up on the way. Extra Thankfully she was inspired to bring me a puzzle and an animal BINGO game that they were finished with.

when i got there and it was announced that I indeed was the leader for the day i had the librarian copy the back sof some of the bingo cards so we had enough for each kid. then I quickly got out some of our favorite animal books. I always include a fact book. The kids surprisingly love them. We sang old macdonald. then played our BINGO game. it wasn't as fancy as I usually like to do, but it actually worked well AND with no prep time :)

We love to read and have met some great people through the story time program at our little Filer library. Tomorrow will be a halloween party. Jordan is excited to share his candy.

What are your favorite kids books this week?

No comments: