Monday, August 17, 2009

Happy Birthday Jarbidge Nevada

Several miles of dirt road past Salmon Dam, and many windy turns down a canyon road, lies the narrow, teeny-tiny town of Jarbidge Nevada. Jarbidge is Now officially 100 years old. It originated as a mining town of many tent houses. This weekend they re-enacted the early settlement by creating Tent City. Two horse drawn wagons picked visitors up in front of The Outdoor Inn and carried them down a dirt path (of course it's dirt, dirt is EVERYWHERE in Jarbidge) to a small clearing adorned with 6 Tents. Each tent was recreated to look like it belonged in 1902. There was the Ja-haw-bich grill, a family home, a trappers tent, the "red flower" tent and a few others. We were welcomed by the settelers of Tent City who showed us around. In the middle of the Town was a big Fire ring where someone told early Jarbidge stories. It was fun to see. I have early Clarence Bisbee pictures of Jarbidge and it was fun to see those pictures brought to life. In the early 1900's the town was called Ja-haw-bich. Somewhere down the line it morphed into Jarbidge.

Derek's grandparents live in Jarbidge and many of his family gathered to attend the celebration. We just went down for Saturday, but had a nice time. Jordan enjoyed throwing rocks in the river. Jadelyn had barrels of fun playing with her 2nd cousin Tristan aka Taibo, and taking 4 wheelers rides with daddy. I drove a 4 wheeler for the first time ever. Backing up was a tad tricky for me but the rest of it was great. I found it much less scary than driving the wave runner. Jordan though the ATV was the perfect place to take a nap. We ate DELICIOUS dutch oven dinner made by Uncle Bob, enjoyed chit chatting with everyone, visited a cave (that by the way smelled like cannibas) and came home with 3 tan family members and 1 red faced mommy. Oh, Derek did take pictures so I'll try to post them later.

1 comment:

Kimberlee said...

Yes, please do post pictures. You haven't in a while and I would love to see some.

I just might have to take you up on using your Facebook id and password. :)