My husband has been planning for many months now to take his friend Bo to the Jazz v.s. Cavaleers game as a welcome home/birthday present. The day of the big game was Saturday. He asked if I minded if they went Friday night so they could hang out in the town where they grew up for a little while Friday night , stay the night at Derek's mom's house and then spend time with Bo's family Saturday before the game. I agreed, much more out of duty than desire.
Friday I was frustrated. Alot of little things from the week were adding up to big things and I was not looking forward to a weekend with 2 little ones, 2 Developmentally disabled adults (we had a visitor), 2 dogs, a messy house, an unfinished church lesson, the pile in my head of little things turned big, and only 1 me. My parents weren't going to be coming home this weekend and I was feeling defeated before the task had even arrived.
Derek sensed my discouragement although I was doing a pretty good poker face. Like any good unsuspecting husband he asked if I was o.k. Normally I would fib a little bit and get over my mood, not this time. "No, I'm not o.k., I'm discouraged and disappointed and ...." I let it all flow out - very matter of factly - little emotion. He sweetly apologized and inside I knew he secretly wished he hadn't asked :) He and Jadelyn had plans to got to Twin Falls before he headed out, so they continued their plans. When they returned they brought with them a beautiful boquet of fragrant orange/yellow/red roses. You know the kind that couldn't quite decide what color they wanted to be so they chose a lovely combination of all three. That was not all, there was also to packets of ferero rochet chocolates (6 in total, yay!) . The chocolates were Jadelyn's addition to the pick-Lacy-up gift. That STILL wasn't all. I had complained about not wanting to attemp to make dinner by myself with the one year old who things he should be the cheff and screams at the top of his lungs when he you remind him he can't. So in my good bag was a rotisserie (sp?) chicken and 2 boxes of macarone and cheese (we were all out). He told em that he thought it would be a good starting point. It sure was, all I had to do was boil water, mix, heat up some frozen peas and vuola (hahaha, that was my spelling attempt)
I was very touched by his gesture. He and I both knew that it didn't erase the things I was frustrated about, but it definitely made them manageable. I really appreciated his and Jadleyn's kindess. She was so happy to help him give me the gifts.
I love that man!
And guess what, my weekend was actually really good. I was TI-RED today, but I definitely had divine help in completing my tasks. The boys are back today and it is very nice to have my husband in the same house, heck , the same state, again. In case you wondered...the chocolates were gone by bedtime and workout plan was canceled for the weekend. I'm the mom, I can do things like that.
Monday, January 26, 2009
Roses and chocolates to the Rescue
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
What a good husband! Sometimes that's all you need to give you that extra push to get through all the "stuff" that piles up!
I think you said this before, but I can't remember. Is Bo living with you guys?
Way to go Derek and Jadelyn. How fun and cute.
Oh, and I think the reason that you got sick from the carrot cake is because you substituted bean puree' for the oil. I 'm just saying is all!
Hi Lacy! Just stumbled upon your blog. Skimmming it over... it's been fun to get to know your family a bit. katie said you were looking for my info. Send me your e-mail address to leapinliberty@gmail.com and I'll send you an invite to my blog!
Libbie
Post a Comment