Thursday, April 24, 2008

Worm Wednesday

First of all, I would really like to say THANK YOU to those who comment. I know I only have a few blog viewers, but i love your comments. Kim I'm so excited for you to have those baby sounds and smells in your home again soon.
Jadelyn attends Tuesday, Thursday pre-school in a 3-4 yr old class. The 4-5 yr old class that attends Mon, Wed, Fri was completely full so we enrolled her in this one instead. It ended up having more of the older kids then the younger kids so it works out really well. (and it's cheaper) :) Well, the older class had a visitor come yesterday and teach them about worms and worm composting. This week is all about taking care of the Earth. Jadelyn and a few of the older kids from her class were invited to the Wed class for the day so they didn't miss the visitor. She came home bursting with worm information. She's fascinated with worms , bugs, spiders, snakes and animals of ALL kinds as it is so she loves adding to her knowledge about them. Through out the day we heard sweet little phrases that most of the time came out of know where like "worms don't have a skeleton, they use their muscles to move through the dirt" and, did you know that worms don't have any eyes, ears or nose? They only have a mouth"To that statement I responded, "How to they know where they're going?" "oh." she says, like she's glad I asked, "they feel their way" She also told us how worms poop through their tail, and worm poop is good for plants. We talked about how you should kindly put a worm who's trapped on the sidewalk during a nice day, in the grass or garden. She also informed me that worms breathe through their skin, and hatch from tiny yellow cocoons that other worms have laid in the dirt.
Derek's work had over scheduled for the night (wed night) so they offered him the day off. It was nice to have him hom 3 nights in a row. I made a really simple supper that was inspired from the biscuits and Gravy recipe from Rachel's recipe blog. My daughter couldn't stop racing about it (which is very rare these days) "Yum, this is the best way to eat rice ever!" she said. She asked what the day was and then declared "Mom, you should make this EVERY Wednesday. It was really nice to make somthing that everyone enjoyed, was quick and simple but yet not from a box, didn't take any coaxing or creative game ideas for jade to start eating it, and we liked it so much there wern't even any leftovers. Hooray. Thanks for the inspiration Rachel.

3 comments:

Kimberlee said...

I can't wait for the baby sounds (well most of them, the all night crying could be skipped).

What a smart little girl...I learned more about worms than I have ever known. How cute!

I want that recipe. Where could I get it?

Rachel Holloway said...

Glad you liked it! It is so easy and versatile! :)

What a funny story!!!

Lacy said...

recipe is found at excellenteats.blogspot.com ...then breakfast. It's the biscuits and gravy recipe. I commented about the liberty I took with it. Super easy. Oh, I also added garlic and salt to taste and only used half of the milk and then eyed it a little bit. You don't need directions, I'm sure you're great and the recipe is inspirational and as rachel said...versatile.