Thursday, April 24, 2008

Picture a Day (3)


Today As I was cooking dinner (ok...at this point I was only THINKING about cooking dinner) and looking through my personal cookbook for ideas, I came a cross a section I had made many moons ago called family activities. I briefly reviewed it and it reminded me of how very seldom we do spontaneous at home fun these days. (very sad I know) I decided that even though Jadelyn was very content watching Barefoot Contessa (a cooking show on the food network) I would bring her in and have her and Conny make a collage while I prepared dinner. I am definitely a hands on arts and crafts person (like to do them, doesn't mean I do them well) Once I got Conny and Jadelyn started I just had to do one myself. It also worked well because then I could show Jadleyn how to use the squeezy glue instead of the glue stick to make designs and stick noodles and beans to them. Quickly I made a little family fun sack (where we will each put ideas (written or picture) in the bag, every Monday during family home evening we will pull one out and make plans to do it that week.) Jadlyn and Conny had a lot of fun. I ended up not starting dinner so I just through some mac n cheese together afterwards hahaha; good ol mac n cheese. It was a nice atmosphere where even jadelyn and conny were talking nicely to each other and sharing. (too bad our boys wern't involved, derek was at work, and Jordan was sleeping) Jadleyn poignantly asked me why we can't do anything we want in out house. She asked me with the right kind of attitude where she was actually listening to what I was saying and not just preparing to tell me that I was wrong. (unfortunately that happens these days). I told her about how sometimes our wants interfere with others happiness. And also if we did everything we wanted all the time, then we probably would learn very little, live in a really messy house, and ultimately end up sad. I explained it 4 yr old terms of course. I asked her if she understood and she actually really did. She agreed that it's important to do things we NEED to do and not just what we WANT to do.

3 comments:

Janelle said...

Girl, you are super-mom. I love listening to your day-to-day activites and viewing your "rise and shine" wardrobe! Comfort first and above all else! LOL! I am so thankful for your blog because I miss seeing you as often as I used to, but at least now I still have a clue as to how things are with you and your family! Please keep it up! -xoxoxo-

Rachel Holloway said...

You are so good! I love that idea!!

Kimberlee said...

Jadelyn is beautiful!