Thursday, May 22, 2008

What...a date?

Tuesday night we had been planning on attending a free dinner in the name of fire safety. My parents were in town and agreed to wait and leave on the truck until after our dinner.

Well, Our plans never got confirmed, thus, no free dinner. We took advantage of our pre-planned babysitters and went out anyway. It felt really weird and new at first. We've really only been out once without kids in almost a year and that was to a comedy night with another couple. We dropped the kids off at the sitter, hurried to the show, and then hurried back. We didn't really have to plan anything and their was definitely no room for spontaneity.

Once we actually got in the car and headed on our way, it was so great! Just like our dating days. We were going to go to the driving range, however the freak wind cancelled our plans. I'm talking WIN-DY. so windy that even in the canyon we were seeing huge branches blow off trees. People who were golfing, obviously unaware of the wind that was going to pick up out of no-where, were huddled behind their golf carts. It was actually entertaining to be in the car and see the people outside with their hair and clothes sideways. Entertaining until we remembered they were real people (not just a movie) and felt bad for them.

We decided to just go to the mall and look around. That may not sound exciting to you, but it something we NEVER do. If I do go to the mall it's with 2 small children and the only thing on the list is either something for one of those small children or a gift for someone NOT in our family. We perused the really nice way-too-expensive-for-our-budget furniture store and made a wish list. Then we went to Macy's and chose perfume for each other to wear for the night (free samples ya know). We even got to look in the clothes sections (men and women's) without any complaints from the male side of the team. We picked out pretend outfits for one another and I realized that I would really love to wear Macy's clothes. Then we realized that Derek would not love to wear Macy's clothes. That wasn't a huge shocker though. When we were done in the mall we raced back to our car as to not be blown away like the nanny applicants in Mary Poppins. Then we headed down Blue Lakes in search of an eating destination. We picked a restaurant in record time! We ate at Sizzler. Neither one of got the salad bar, which was pretty unusual. His was broiled shrimp and steak with rice pilaf and broccoli. Mine was broiled shrimp and lemon chicken with rice pilaf and broccoli. We thoroughly enjoyed our food choices (although his steak was better than my chicken). Then we raced out again across the parking lot to Fred Meyer to check out the vending machine movies. We decided against any of them and went around the corner to get National Treasure II. We also got out of Hollywood Video in record time. Bonus points for us. Then we went home, tucked our little ones in bed and cuddled as we watched the movie. Now, that might not sound eventful, but it was REALLY fun. I could tell the feelings were mutual and even now we're still gushy about our (not even romantic or physically intimate) date. We haven't ever really done the date night thing because Derek doesn't like the idea of having to pencil in a date, doing a date that week just because it was previously decided we need a date this week. I think that's how he feels anyway, it sounds kind of weird when I write it. But we're both finding that unless you promise to each other that you will go out at least one a week (even if the out is in your living room) and set aside time for that...that it just doesn't happen.

Any way, I LOVED going on a date with my husband. I'm very excited to do it again. Yay for date night and Yay for grandparents!

3 comments:

Cassie and Mark said...

It sounds like you had a great night together! I love how my children have made me appreciate life more; even seemingly small things like weekly dates. Yeah for dates that remind us why we love our husbands!

Kimberlee said...

Yay for you and Derek. Sounds like a fun night away.

Anonymous said...

I know this is a very old post, but i saw sizzler, and well, since I work there, I just had to say, good choice for dinner. I was probably there that night. :)